Digital revolution is rapidly changing our everyday lives and it shows also in recruitment. If the last time you were applying for a job was more than a few years ago, it is very likely that the hiring methods have changed enormously since then.
So what does all this mean when applying for a new job? In this series of posts, I’ll be digging into the latest recruitment trends and share my best career tips on how you can utilize them and get prepared for getting that next dream job of yours!
Top trends of recruitment 2018
According to LinkedIn’s survey Global Recruiting Trends 2018, these four trends were identified based on numerous expert interviews and a survey of 9,000 talent leaders and hiring managers across the globe.
Similar trends have been recognized also by other sources such as Forbes Coaches Council, Ideal and The RecruitLoop. So let’s dig in deeper and see what these mean for you when applying for a new job.
Increasing globalization and advanced technology allow people from different backgrounds to easily interact with each other, access online education and work together worldwide. For companies, this means they need to become as diverse as possible for being able to compete in a global framework.
When talking about diversity, it’s not just about gender but also related to variety in demographics, age, education, minorities or for example disabilities. A diverse workforce can offer wider perspectives and learn from each other’s experience. On the other hand, it is also important to offer equal opportunities for everyone.
These are among the reasons why diversity remains an important topic in the recruitment side also in the coming years and together with the increasing possibilities of working remotely and handling the application processes online, it’s easier to hire top talents with different backgrounds from anywhere.
Here you can find my take on the topic with practical tips.
5 career tips related to #diversity
1. Look outside of the geographic borders and aim for the global job market. Make sure your CV is available in all languages you are able to work with, including English and highlight your international experience.
2. Turn your older age into an advantage and bring out examples where you have been building connections between the generations. Bring out examples of how you have been mentoring or show how well you are mastering some latest tech skills. Be open to new technology and don’t be afraid to try out new gadgets and ask for help.
3. Challenge the stereotypes. Look for industries which have traditionally had more workers of the opposite gender and find out if there would be inspiring jobs among them. There is a high demand for women in technology and science and for men in social care areas, to give just a few examples. Break out of the expected.
4. Don’t aim to just fit in – become a culture add! When investigating the company’s web page, don’t be limited to think only about the cultural fit – go beyond and bring out how you could add up.
5. Most importantly: be yourself and proud of who you are. Let your personality show also in your job applications.
For more tips related to the Future Trends of Recruitment from Job Applicant’s perspective, stay tuned for my next blog post related to trend Nr 2. New Interviewing tools!
PS. As a gift for you, I prepared a modern 5-day challenge to get you started towards your dream career! By joining to my mailing list (I promise to treat you extra nicely without spam!) you’ll get “5 steps closer to your dream job” toolkit e-mailed to you over the following 5 days! Hope you like it!